Fresh Cranberry Orange Pastries with Vanilla Glaze Recipe
Recipe: Fresh Cranberry Orange Pastries with Vanilla Glaze
Summary: This recipe takes a few hours but it’s completely worth the effort. A simple pastry with a sweet and tart fresh cranberry filling. The dough is shaped by twisting it – it will add an elegant look to your Christmas morning buffet or any weekend morning. Make the pastry dough and filling the night before and bake it so it’s fresh the day you’ll be enjoyig it.
Cranberry Orange Filling:
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
NOTE: Refrigerate Time: 2 to 24 hours; Proof Time: 30 to 45 minutes; Bake Time: 12 to 15 minutes
- Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Heat milk, butter and water until very warm (120°F to 130°F).
- Pour the warm milk mixture in a large mixing bowl and gradually add to flour mixture; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add eggs and an additional 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour remaining flour to make stiff batter (when poked it leaves an indention and is not sticky).
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
- In a medium saucepan; bring to boil cranberries, sugar and orange peel over medium heat.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until very thick. Remove mixture from heat, and let cool.
- Refrigerate until dough is ready.
Shaping the Pastries:
- Remove the dough and cranberry filling from the refrigerator. Punch dough down and pour out onto a lightly floured surface.
- With a rolling pin, roll to a 21 x 12-inch rectangle.
- Spread Cranberry Filling over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges (leave the edges clean so they’ll seal completely)
- Fold crosswise in thirds, to enclose filling, making a 12 x 7-inch rectangle and press the edges to seal (wet your fingers and use them to moisten the dough if necessary)
- Cut the dough into 12 (1-inch) strips then holding the ends of each strip, twist three times. Pinch together ends of each twisted strip to form tarts; place on greased baking sheets.
- Cover the shaped rolls with a light tea towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free area until almost doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until done,switching positions of sheets halfway through baking time for even browning. Remove tarts from baking sheets; let cool on wire racks.
- Combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and 4 tsp milk until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency. When buns are cool, drizzle with frosting.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Microformatting by hRecipe.
Recipe courtesy of Courtesy of ACH Foods Company
Photo Credit: Courtesy of ACH Foods Company