Florida Citrus Meringue Pie Recipe
More than just a lemon meringue pie, this one features both orange and lemon for a truly Florida citrus treat.
Recipe: Florida Citrus Meringue Pie Recipe
Summary: Excerpted with permission from Taste of Home: Best Loved Recipes: 1485 Favorites from the World’s #1 Food & Entertaining Magazine. Read our cookbook review of this book.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9″)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 Tbls cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 Tbls sugar
- Roll the pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer carefully to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; flute edges.
- Line the pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (don’t prick the dough)
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven heat to 350°.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually stir in water and orange juice until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick).
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks in a small bowl. When incorporated add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the lemon juice, butter, and lemon and orange peels. Pour into prepared crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1 Tbls at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Cookbook Reviews: Taste of Home’s Best Loved Recipes
1485 Favorites from the World’s #1 Food & Entertaining Magazine
- 250+ main dish recipes / 150+ easy soups, salads, and side dishes / 100+ appetizers, sandwiches, and pizzas / 81 ”Mom Made it Best” heirloom recipes / 250+ desserts, candies, cookies ,pies, tarts, and cakes / Plus 100s more recipes for every occasion
- Published by Reader’s Digest
- Hardcover: 928 pages / 26 chapters / 20 photo sections with 400 full-color photos
- ISBN-10: 0898219914 / ISBN-13: 978-0898219913
- Available in hardcover and Kindle Edition
- Release date: September 13, 2012 (order now)