GCB: The Complete First Season was release to home video this week. The sometimes controversial show was one of my season favorites and stared the amazing Kristin Chenoweth.
The show was created by Darren Star (Sex and The City) and Robert Harling (Steel Magnolias) and based on the books written by Kim Gatlin. Her book is titled Good Christian Bitches,” but ABC choose to air it as GCB and when it received complaints about the title, they claimed the “b” stood for Belles.
No matter what you call it, the show was a wickedly funny. It’s about a former high school mean girl, Amanda Vaughn (played beautifully by Leslie Bibb), who has to return to the town she ruled as a teen 20-years later when her husband turns out to be a shyster and he’s killed in a crash. Amanda finds out her life of luxury was built on lies and she returns home to “mamma” as a destitute woman. Mamma is played by Annie Potts (Designing Women) who’s a gun toting, church going, big-haired Texas woman with a personality as big.
Yes, the show spoofs religion and Texas, but if you can’t laugh at the good natured jabs, well then you need a thicker skin. It’s a dramedy – it’s supposed to be over the top – and it was. I doubt very much anyone believes the ridiculously fun story lines.
Sadly this fabulous show has been cancelled – scoop up the DVD and find out what great entertainment we’re losing out on by the cancellation.
Leslie Bibb (“Iron Man”), Kristin Chenoweth (“Pushing Daisies”), Annie Potts (“Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,” “Joan of Arcadia”), Jennifer Aspen (“Rodney”), Miriam Shor (“Swingtown,” “Damages”), Marisol Nichols (“24”), Mark Deklin (“Lone Star”), David James Elliott (“JAG”) and Brad Beyer (“Jericho”)
- Bigger in Texas –Watch the Texas-style transformations the actresses go through from hair to makeup, and more.
- Living Large – Stars Jennifer Aspen and Annie Potts walk you through an exclusive tour of the world of GCB.
- Preaching to the Choir – Enjoy a visit to the set with Kristin Chenoweth, Miriam Shore, and the rest of the cast as share insight as to why music is so important to the Series.
- GCB: Most Likely To… – From “Best Dressed,” to “Class Clown,” find out what the cast really thinks of one another.
- Audio Commentaries – Cast members and producers offer unique insight.
- Bloopers and Deleted Scenes
- Release Date: June 12, 2012
- Release Format & SRP: 3-Disc DVD = $39.99
- Rating: TVPG DLS (Bonus features not rated)
- Run Time: Approximately 430 minutes
- Languages/Subtitles: English/English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
- ABC Cancels ‘GCB’; Petition Started To Keep In On (1037litefm.radio.com)
- Operation: Bring Back ‘GCB’ (bloglikeitshot.com)
- ABC Renews ‘Private Practice’ & ‘Don’t Trust The B,’ Cancels ‘GCB’ (huffingtonpost.com)