Homemade Meyer Lemon Sherbet
Summary: This recipe was adapted by Redwood Hill Farm from the Bon Appetit’s Lemon-Buttermilk Sorbet, June 2001. They’ve replaced the buttermilk in the original recipes with an equal amount of their plain kefir. Meyer lemons give this a distinctive taste but standard lemons can be used if Meyers are not available. This sherbet can be made up to 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.
- 1-1/4 c sugar (preferably organic)
- 1/2 c fresh lemon juice (4-6 Meyer lemons or 3-4 standard lemons; use organic Meyer lemons for best taste)
- 4 cups Redwood Hill Farm plain kefir (found in the organic refrigerated section)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (plus additional for garnish if desired)
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add the lemon juice and sugar. Heat until the sugar dissolves watching carefully so that it doesn’t burn.
- Add the kefir and lemon zest; stir until incorporated.
- Chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or until cold.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions (generally about 20 minutes but check for the desired constancy and end sooner if necessary).
- No ice cream maker? Pour into a 13×9″ glass pan and freeze approximately 1-1/2 hours or until slushie. Use an ice cream scoop to scrape into mounds and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
June is National Dairy Month and National Ice Cream Month is in July so it’s time to start celebrating! But you don’t have to do it with frozen treats that are nothing but fat and sugar with little to no nutritional value. With the right ingredients, you can have a healthy and tasty treat! This recipe uses products which are free of preservatives, artificial colors and flavors, as well as stabilizers, and uses only 100% fresh organic milk!
Farm Tasting – On the Road with Redwood Hill Farm & Creamery
Here’s a chance to meet the Redwood Hill Farm folks and try out some of their great products! Visit the Redwood Farm website for the most up-to-date info on these events and more.
Connect & More Information
Win $50 of Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farm Products plus an insulated bag and t-shirt!
Win $50 of Green Valley Organics and Redhill Farm Products plus an insulated bag and t-shirt!
Win a Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farm Giveaway!
I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics products and I purchase them as often as I’m able to (though I’ve never acquired the taste for goats milk or cheese, I love their cow varieties). They aren’t carried by my regular grocer but they are at Whole Foods so I seek them out there. Now’s your turn to give these quality products a try! We’re giving one very lucky reader $50 worth of products from Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics plus their eco-friendly insulated tote bag and your choice of t-shirt (cow or goat)! Sorry, no PO boxes (your prize will arrive in an insulated cooler with dry ice) and US mailing addresses only.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I was not compensated for hosting this giveaway.
Photos and recipe provided by Green Valley Organics and Redwood Hill Farm and used with permission.