Setting up the new propane heater rated for indoor use during our last power outage
It’s been over a week since the snow, wind, and ice storms here in Washington that wreaked havoc on the roads (read Slideshow: Seattle January Snow and Ice Storm Pictorial Recap). Hundreds of thousands lost power during the ice and wind portion of the storm and that included us. We’ve suffered week long outages in the past so a few years ago we purchased everything we’d need to be comfortable and safe during power outages.
Our first purchase was a Honda generator. Yes, they’re expensive, but we wanted a quality generator that would last us for years and one that would work when we needed it. We also purchased an indoor safety rated Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heater. I was nervous about using it but I was quickly won over by the amount of heat it put out – so much so that the hubby cooked his dinner in a frying pan on top of it in the dark (keep it the proper distance away from all combustibles and away from children).
Our generator and cooking on the portable heater inside the house
But because there are inherent dangers with using a generator and a propane heater, we also purchased two carbon monoxide detectors to back up the one plug-in model we already had. One is dual Kidde KN-COSM-B Battery-Operated Combination Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarm with Talking Alarm and the other is an Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup and Digital Display – the battery back up means you’re covered if the power goes out.
Second carbon monoxide detector on a bookshelf in the living room and LED Christmas lights for emergency lighting – brilliant
We use candles for lighting as a last resort – they just cause too many home fires, but carrying a flashlight everywhere is annoying and unlike the hubby, I won’t wear a headlamp in the house. So this time the hubby got creative and used LED Christmas Lights to safely light up the house. He strung them through the hallway and up the stairs into the bedrooms and bathrooms . They’re very energy efficient, put no load on the generator, and provided ample lighting without any of the worries of candles.
Of course we also had our fire extinguishers handy in case of any issue and all-in-all we were very comfortable. We kept the refrigerator and freezer going and were ready for the long haul….but thankfully we were only out about 12 hours or so. But we could have gone much longer and we’re ready for the next outage.
Fire for ambiance, the propane heater is plenty for the room and Mounting the dual alarm temporarily in the hallway to our bedroom
So, are you ready for your next weather emergency?