It’s New Year’s Eve and even though we stay home to celebrate, rather than throw ourselves out to the mercy of the drunk drivers who will be out in droves tonight, that doesn’t mean that we won’t be celebrating. We’re doing an Italian theme this year with Chicken Alfredo Lasagna and other goodies, but we’ll also be making an appetizer with fresh mozzarella cheese and sausage. Granted, mine will be made with vegetarian sausage (I’ve discovered some amazing Original Field Roast varieties that are fabulous and will work beautifully in this recipe) but for the hubby and kids it’ll be nothing but meat for them. Sadly not Coleman Natural this time because their sausage isn’t carried at my local store (but their bacon is so I know their quality), only Whole Foods, and I haven’t been there in a few weeks.
The photo is compliments of Coleman Natural because I’ve not made mine yet, but I wanted to you have a chance to see this quick and easy recipe in case you’re still looking for something to serve. Why choose Coleman Natural? For me it’s because they’re fully cooked, no antibiotics, hormones, preservatives, nitrites, nitrates, MSG, fillers, artificial preservatives or trans fats. Yep, just the good stuff and none of the bad.
Want more veg? Use a longer pick and add a cherry tomato. Don’t like the burst of tomato? Cut them in half before adding them. Add them to the dressing with the mozzarella for a great Caprese bite!
|Fresh Mozzarella Sausage Appetizers
Recipe Type: Appetizer
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Simple and delicious appetizers for any special occasion or as a fun lunchtime treat.
- 4 links of Coleman Natural Chicken Sausage, Mild Italian or Sun-dried Tomato
- 20 small balls of fresh mozzarella
- 1 TBL balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 TBL extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp fresh or dried basil, finely chopped if fresh
- 3 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 20 toothpicks
- Grill or pan fry the Coleman Natural Chicken Sausage until the outsides are crispy.
- Cut each natural chicken sausage link into five slices.
- Stir together the vinaigrette, olive oil, and seasonings. Add the mozzarella balls and stir carefully to coat.
- Place a seasoned mozzarella ball on each slice of natural chicken sausage and put a toothpick through.
- Place on a platter, serve and enjoy!
Special thanks to Coleman Natural for the Recipe – reprinted with permission
Photo Credit: Coleman Natural and used with permission