Steve's Graduation from the Fire Academy - 1980
Today is the last day I can say I’m in my 40’s. Tomorrow I’ll have lived half a century. I gotta say, getting here has been pretty great. What I don’t like is looking back. It makes me sad. So many people and things I’ve had to say good-bye to. It would be easy to stay stuck in the past and mourn what I’ve lost, but I’m looking firmly at the future and all that it holds.
I don’t have a bucket list or life list. I’ve never seen the need for one. I’m happy just living a simple life. Just being. But I guess I have a life accomplishment list. Here’s mine.
What I’ve Accomplished in My Life – aka 15 reasons why turning 50 doesn’t suck.
- I married a man I’ve lived with for almost 30 years, happily.
- I carried and delivered two adorable baby boys.
- I’ve weathered marital storms and we’ve grown stronger in our love because of them.
- I’ve raised happy and healthy toddlers and made it through the terrible twos, threes, and beyond.
- I’ve had several great careers and served the public through each.
- I had the pleasure of attending nearly every school, scout, and sporting event my children participated in.
- We’ve traveled to places we loved….camping, fishing, boating, and more.
- I survived my boys and their new drivers licenses, broken hearts, and shenanigans.
- I’ve managed a chronic disease and the depressing weight gain that came with it through the love and support of my family.
- I’ve watched my boys graduate from kindergarten, 6th grade, 9th grade, high school, and one from college.
- I stopped working because of my MS and I’ve been lovingly supported by my husband to peruse a career I’m able to do.
- I survived my boys moving out and moving on. Perhaps the hardest part of growing old.
- I’m more in love with my husband now than I’ve ever been in the past. We make a fabulous team.
- I’ve been to Disneyland and Disney World more times than I can count and that makes me smile.
- I look forward to grand kids and more time just living simply with the husband.
Steve and the boys - 1988
Our family - 1992 or 1992
My husband and I in Vegas for our 20th Anniversary - 2003
What will you look back on on your 50th birthday and say you’ve accomplished?