Another recipe makeover by Charli! This one was inspired by the hugely popular French Bread with Kalamata Olives and Thyme recipe at Epicurious. It’s one of their all-time most popular recipes and who could argue? It’s original from Bon Apetit and it’s a soft French bread with olives (make mine black please) and fresh thyme baked in an over sprayed occasionally with water to give it its unique chewy crust.
Here’s Charli’s lightened version – still full of flavor and texture but with smart swaps to lower the calories and fat. This one doesn’t have the French bread feel, it’s more of a dense bread, but it’s an easy recipe and it’s delicious!
|Kalamata Olive Bread with Thyme
Recipe Type: Bread
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 55 mins
The onions add flavor to this savory bread!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 16 kalamata olives
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Saute onions in low calorie cooking spray until translucent. Cool and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and add wet ingredients, stirring together just until moistened.
- Fold in onions and olives.
- Spread batter in 4×8″ loaf pan prepared with low calorie cooking spray.
- Bake 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool completely
Serving size: 1/12 Calories: 115 Fat: 3.5 Carbohydrates: 7 Protein: 4
Low fat and lightened Kalamata Olive Bread with Thyme