I was Stumbling blogs the other day and came across the most amazing food blog called Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy. The blog post I landed on was her Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes. These are the most drool-worthy cupcakes I’ve seen – sweet and sticky strawberry gelee filling in Magnolia Bakery’s Vanilla Cupcakes, topped with Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting, and fresh strawberries. I hardly make it sound as delicious as it looks; you need to go take a peek at these delightful little cupcakes.
I will make the Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes from SCCC (sans the gelatin since I’ll be making mine vegetarian), but am waiting for a holiday or special occasion since my new lifestyle doesn’t have room in my calorie budget for them and I’ve been sneaking leftover Easter treats. So I asked our regular contributor and Certified Personal Trainer and Nutritional Specialist, Charli Cohen, to create a lightened version for us. And boy did she deliver! These cupcakes are gorgeous and I doubt you’ll notice they’ve got less fat and calories, but all the flavor sweet strawberries are able to give.
So as summer is about to arrive, get your garden planted with some strawberries so in a few months you’ll be able to top your cupcakes with some just-picked goodness from your garden.
Light Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with Strawberry Gelee Filling
Charli’s version of a Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake that’s full of flavor but lighter in calories, fat and sugar.
Serving size: 1/12 Calories: 170 Fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 32g Sugar: 20g Fiber: 1.5g Protein: 7g
- 12 Light Vanilla Cupcakes (recipe follows)
- 12 servings Strawberry Gelée (recipe follows)
- 12 servings Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Light Vanilla Cupcake Ingredients
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- Strawberry Gelée Ingredients
- 1 cup strawberry puree
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 envelope unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1/2 cup diced, fresh strawberries
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 14 oz fat-free cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 6 strawberries
- Light Vanilla Cupcakes Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Combine the flour, baking soda
- In separate bowl, beat applesauce, sugar, egg whites and vanilla until smooth, using electric mixer on high.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with milk until batter is smooth.
- Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and divide batter between them.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 15-17 min.
- Allow to cool.
- Strawberry Gelée Directions
- Heat puree and sugar in saucepan until it begins to bubble, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Put water in small bowl and sprinkle in gelatin. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Add puree mixture and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Stir in diced strawberries and chill until set.
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:
- Use blender to mix cream cheese, strawberries and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, blending it in phases.
- Construction Instructions
- Cut a cone-shaped piece of cake out of center of each cupcake, being careful not to cut through the bottom.
- Slice 1/4-inch piece from tip of each cone; set aside the larger piece to place back into filled cupcakes. By cutting off the tip, you’re making room for more gelee inside.
- Spoon approximately 1 tsp strawberry gelée filling into each cupcake and top with cone slice.
- Using pastry bag or offset spatula, frost each cupcake with strawberry cream cheese frosting.
- Top each cupcake with sliced strawberry.
Found at MiscFiInds4u.com