While not technically pickled, these veggies get a tang from the vinegar and onion, and that’s what we’ve always called them. My mom used to make these all the time and we’d snitch them out of the refrigerator and eat them all before dinner. Especially the vinegary cucumber slices….mmmmmmmmm.
[box] Kristen from Our Ordinary Life tried out this recipe and submitted this fabulous photo. She says it’s just like her Grandmother used to make! [/box]
You can leave the peel on the cucumber if you like, it adds great color to the dish. I generally don’t peel an organic cucumber, but do a non-organic. Either way, wash them well before preparing.
You can also use a purple onion for more interest and color and a brighter onion flavor.
|Pickled Cucumber and Cherry Tomato Salad
Recipe Type: Salad, Sidedish
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
This makes a great side dish for a summer picnic. Light and fresh, it’s best made the day before.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cold water
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Chill several hours or overnight (the longer the stronger the flavor). Drain and serve cold.