Gluten intolerant? Here’s a Gluten-free and Dairy-free Pancake mix that’s made with Gram Flour. Gram Flour is made from ground chickpeas (I know them as garbanzo beans) and is also known as besan, chikpea flour, channa flour, harina de garbanzo.
Gram flour is also used as a vegan egg-replacement when mixed with equal proportions of water. Gram flour contains a high proportion of carbohydrates, but no gluten, and is proportionally higher in protein than typical flours.
You can make your own Gram Flour (recipe below Pancake Mix recipe) or you can purchase it at ethnic grocery stores or online. You can also buy Gram Flour (Besan) and Tapioca Starch online as well.
|Homemade Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Pancake Mix
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
- cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- cup Tapioca Starch
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Cinnamon to taste
- 1 tbsp of mixed dried fruit (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl, add water and stir until desired consistency.
- Pour mixture (one ladle at a time) onto a hot frying pan and griddle and cook until nice and brown.
- Flip and brown the second side.
- Serve with delicious maple syrup and/or fresh berries.
Homemade Gram Flour – Dried Chickpeas
2 cups dried chickpeas
* Rinse thoroughly and drain
* Run in small batches through a coffee grinder, blender, or food processor until pulverized and smooth.
* Pass through a sieve to remove unground pieces.
* Use as directed in recipes
For a toasted flavor variation, after rinsing and draining, lay the chickpeas out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. They’ll be lightly brown and smell delicious. Cool and grind.